Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Ring

So tonight's story happened a long time ago. Today however my sisters and I were in the kitchen and my Mom had just recently changed purses. She had found a ring in her purse and didn't know whose it was. I looked at it and immediately recognized it. I'm about to tell you the story of this ring- as I remember it (with possibly a few embellishments). Like I said, it happened a LONG time ago. The story starts more than 20 years ago. In preschool for me. There was a boy who lived up the street from me- his name was Todd. He was in love with me and two of my cousins- Brittany and Amanda. We often played kissing tag- or our own rendition of it. Todd was ALWAYS it and he would pick ONE culprit each time and the other two were allowed to guard. It seemed like he chased after Brittany a lot but he did rotate and maybe my memory's a little hazy. Anyways, we had lots of fun- and Todd lived just up the street. I have many fond (and faint, now) memories of those days.

I remember the day I found out he was moving to Georgia- FAR FAR AWAY! And it was right before Kindergarten and I was utterly depressed. I would now have NO friends. My Mom tried to comfort me, she knew a mom with a daughter my age who would also be going to school with me, but it didn't work. Todd was leaving me and I was doomed. I don't remember most other details but I DO remember the last day he was there. We went to say our goodbyes- they had everything packed up and I remember going back inside- the completely empty house, with Todd. I don't remember verbatim, but our conversation went something like this.

Me: "Do you really have to move?"
Todd: "Yes my Dad got a job there. But I want to give you something."
M: "What?"
T: "My Mom says when a guy likes a girl he gives her a ring to show he likes her. My Mom helped me find this ring and it's for you."

I don't know if they bought it, for awhile I thought he had found it in a cracker jack box- but it's really much too nice of a ring for that... so, not sure. I'm ALSO pretty sure that he wasn't really proposing or anything like that- but I still claim it as my puppy love story, and I still have the ring. Pictures to follow. :) Todd and I are still friends- we are even friends on lovely facebook now, and he is HAPPILY married to a gorgeous girl! I haven't seen him in a few years but we have seen each other since. So that's my story for tonight, and when I get a picture of the ring on my computer I will add it to this post. :) Goodnight y'all!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

ahhhh a ring.... and then back to oh that is so sweet. Why are the good guys always taken! Grrrrrrr Xo