Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Little of This, and a Little of That...

So just talking about my life right now. Ever since I graduated high school I have had family members ask me when I'm getting married- uncles, aunts, cousins (my parents didn't join in til MUCH later)... I once told my cousin that I was getting married in Spring and he got SO excited! And he was like, really? Who's the guy? I then told him, there wasn't one- I didn't tell him a year... but ideally I think I'd choose to marry in the spring, if I can. Who knows? Anyways, I've never been in a rush to get married, still not- I mean I want to get married, I do. I want to be in love, I want to find the one that I love enough to marry. I want to have kids, and other things as well. There was a time when I thought I would marry a guy- but I'm glad it didn't work. My family did not approve and I learned a lot from that experience. From that experience I know that I am who I am and I don't need a guy, though sometimes it might be nice. I can wait for the right one, one who loves me for me and I love him too. How this relates to my life currently? Well I guess you could say I'm still single, so the family pressure is still there.. On my Dad's side of the family- which I am closer to, after having grown up around them- I am the only single girl for a few years. The other two are married with at least one child. I'm in that group. Then comes the boys and all except one who just recently came home, are out on missions, the next grouping is 5 years younger than me and just reaching marriage age. Who knows? Maybe my sister will get married before me?

I was talking with my mom the other day- I think it was over the break. They've been trying to convince me to change my major so I can finish with school and they're not sure that this is what I REALLY love... Which is semi true... I love it, but there are other things that I equally love, including music. My mom thinks I should look into becoming part of the music entertainment industry. (Then I could also have a high chance of living in Southern California.) One thing that I think is funny is my parents used to tell me they couldn't see me being a teacher (back when I wanted to do that...). But after coming home from my mission they've suggested looking into that. My Dad says I should be a preschool teacher- cause I'm "on their level"... :) They want me to be happy, and I love them for that, and I understand. My mom at one point started crying because she said that she wants me to be a mom because I'd be good at it- I love kids. But she started crying because, although she knows the reason why, she said I'm happy being single and she just hopes I'm not TOO happy being single that I won't try to find love.

As far as kids go- I MISS having little kids around. Backtracking- I went on a dental trip with my Uncle to Paraguay. I LOVED it! I got to spend time with the kids and had a few "leaches". So did my cousins- we all seem to be good with kids- maybe because we were the oldest? I don't fully understand how, but I remember having a conversation with a nicer old man from the town there. Why I don't understand how? Because Spanish is my second language, and when I say second language, I mean, I can say Hola, Que tal? And Como se dice.... and point to something... And THEIR second language was Spanish. When I say THEIR second language is Spanish I mean that 2 adults spoke Spanish and the kids were being taught it in school. So I don't think this man was even speaking Spanish. But when I was talking to him I happened to be carrying one of my "leaches" around. I knew he was asking me if I was taking him back with me to the States. I knew he was joking, so my response was, yes I am. But as I was talking to him I realized something- these kids had great families- families that loved them, and although they were destitute of some necessities and virtually all wants as defined by our culture in the US, they were HAPPY, and I realized that if I took any of them back with me to the states that they would likely be more tainted by all the technology, rather than helped. So, even though I wouldn't have taken any of the kids with me I still refer to them as MY kids, and I miss them! I was ecstatic when I found that one of them passed the sacrament for the first time! (The town we visited was all Mormon, and my Uncle went back when I was on my mission, so I heard the news in a letter) I was around kids on my mission- and I had my favorites there. I have some favorite little cousins whom I miss! The youngest ones are Marina and Marisa- and they are SO CUTE!!! They both love me when I come back to visit. They are two of my favorites along with this little girl Georgie (who is of no relation- but I absolutely LOVE her!) Anyways, back to now and how it relates. I was talking about my mom and how she wants me to be married and is "worried" for me. She is also worried because I have solved my desire to be around kids for now. :)

I had been thinking about getting a job for awhile now. I happened to be walking from class to my car one day and felt the sudden need to take a different route. Well on that route I saw a sign that led me to a website for possible jobs. I filled out a profile as soon as I got home and within 2 hours I had a phone call and an interview the following day. At the interview I got the job on a week trial basis. The deal was, if it wasn't what I was looking for we would discuss it at the end of the week. But I LOVE it! I am a nanny? or babysitter? Or Mother's helper? This Mom has 6 kids of her own. When 3 had left the house to start college she started adopting. She now has 9 adopted kids- all black (not that it matters, but just so you can get a SLIGHTLY better picture of them, without me actually having a picture of them). 8 of the adopted kids are ADHD and the last one is autistic. She had been adopting in pairs and was able to do it on her own. But the last 3, which I help the most with- well the 3rd one wasn't planned. The last one, Kaden is related to Keyana- one of the last 3 and was also being put up for adoption, so her "agent" had called and asked her if she'd consider taking one more. So she did. But the last 3 are all in their terrible twos at the same time, all being potty trained, all VERY active, and so on... I get there in the mornings and have some interaction with 4 of the other kids. I love them too, even though I don't see them very much. The youngest 3 are Kaden, Karissa and Keyana. Karissa- she is sometimes the worst. She will push Kaden- once making him bleed, and can be quite nasty, but she is also the sweetest when it comes to saying sorry and generally wants to help the most. I sing a clean up song- and she's the only one that chips in. She is also the protector. Keyana LOVES putting things in her mouth. We were outside playing and she put dirt in her mouth, so I counted to three telling her to spit it out and when she didn't I went to run over and Karissa comes up to me and "pets" my leg saying "Sorry, Sorry, Keyana's sorry! You don't have to take her inside" That was what I said I would do- I didn't intend on keeping her inside though. I picked up Karissa and told her to watch, I went over to Keyana and asked if the dirt tasted good. (Now switching over to Keyana) She said no, so I said do you want to rinse it out inside? Another yes. So I turned back to Karissa and said, "See she wants to go inside, and we'll be right back out as soon as she gets the dirt out of her mouth". Keyana is the only one who can get dressed by herself. She is also the best at saying NO. Both Keyana and Karissa are a pair and do almost everything together. They like helping to vacuum (though they're not great at sharing the vacuum yet) and the msot recent addition is I've taught them to help me with the dishes. Now rinsing them because the mix between them and water is a disaster. But I get out the containers for their sippy cups and for Kaden's bottles and they put the other plastic cups in the drawer where they go. The glass cups they carefully put on the counter for me to put up. They know where the plates and bowls go and just need a little help and after I check for sharp utensils, they help me put the silverware away too. Kaden- he is the autistic one and my favorite- when I can understand him. He says stuck a lot... and usually it's not a matter of being stuck and you have to figure it out. We have piano time just about every day. They're learning to play "nicely" instead of pounding on the piano. And they ask me to play for like mini songs- I don't think I finish too many songs unless they're REALLY tired. Before I put them down for nap, Kaden helps me get the girls in their rooms, I sing to them. But unfortunately, they seem to like it a little TOO much and don't usually fall asleep to it. One of their favorites is "Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater" And "A Child's Prayer". Anyways, I'm usually exhausted by the time I get home but it's very fulfilling. It's a real work out trying to find something for them to do and just pick up after them. (It IS easier now that they help me with the dishes instead of me having to distract them so I could do it in spare time.) We also like dance parties- good Christmas songs and Disney songs. Our two favorites are "Hakuna Matata" and "I'm Gonna Be a Mighty King" (one of my favorites from growing up).

Anyways, life is good. Life is entertaining. I could probably talk for hours about all the kids I claim as "mine". And I am perfectly content to be single until it's right. I have no desire to rush into another relationship and possible heart break if it isn't. So with that, I'm done. For now. :)

1 comment:

Barbara Sue said...

Your life seems so fun with those kids!! Thanks for sharing your stories...love you!