Wednesday, December 9, 2009

DUI

So, it's been awhile since my last blog... I was exploring other blog sites but I miss just writing... I'm back for awhile- though I'm not a hundred percent sure those who were reading will even bother to check because of my long absence. I think I mainly stopped writing cause I didn't feel I had anything I could write in my spare time... The stories that I want to share most deserve more time than I have to offer sometimes.

Anyways, today's story is going to be my DUI. I miss the good old days when me, Brittany and Amanda would hang out ALL the time! I mean, we're all where we need to be and having fun but we had so many good memories. This was one of our last before Brittany left us for bigger and better things (getting married). Amanda and I came up to visit Brittany in lovely Provo. We had all been here before for EFY, family vacations and what not but it was the first time we were all there together by ourselves and not at EFY. On Sunday, Brittany was hanging with her fiance. (We had flown up to find bridesmaid dresses, btw.) So she loaned us her car for the afternoon. We went to go visit our cousin Jessica who was also in Utah and had recently been in a car accident. We met her, now husband and were able to spend a little time with her as well. Then we left her place and decided we would just go exploring. Brittany had GPS in her car so we weren't too concerned about getting lost, though neither of us understood the grid system yet... but we weren't bad with directions, especially if it's step by step. So we started out, and I don't fully remember where we were but we ended up, I believe on University Avenue about to get on the freeway when we decided to turn around. We knew the basic areas around BYU, or at least Brittany's place, and where her fiance lived. So we were driving back along and even though we didn't understand the grid system we were pretty sure if we continued long enough we would hit University Parkway, and from there we knew where to go. Well, I don't see the greatest at night, and I don't know if other people have noticed this, but lighting in Utah sucks... In comparison to California streets that are all lit up it's hard to see Utah street signs til you've almost passed them. So basically I was slowing down before I got to every stop light so I'd be able to read the sign. And I would also SLIGHTLY swerve the car so the headlights would shine ON the street signs. I was very careful not to swerve out of my lane though.

Well, we FINALLY found University Parkway, so I turned on my signal to switch lanes, witched lanes and turned right. Then all of a sudden I realize there's lights going off behind me. I turn to Amanda and go, "Is he pulling ME over?" Amanda looks around (there's no one else on the road) and says, "Who ELSE is he pulling over?" So I pulled over and the officer walks up to the window. All formal-like, you know how they get he goes, "Driver's license and proof of registration." I responded, "Here's my license, but it's not my car, it's my cousin's, we took it for the afternoon and I can check her glove compartment, but I'm really not sure if that's where she keeps it..." He looks at my license and goes, "California huh?" So I started talking out of nervousness, "Yes, we came up to visit my cousin and look for bridesmaid dresses cause she's getting married." So he starts talking to us and then goes, "So are you lost?" And I was like, "No, we were, but we found University Parkway and we're headed to Heritage Halls and so we now know where we're going- just up ahead and then turn right and then it's just down the street..." I don't know why I remember this, maybe because I thought it was ridiculous that I knew part of Provo better than him but he was like, "Heritage Halls? No you have to go up to the light and make a left." I knew better though- to the left was the MTC and the temple, but I just thanked him and we didn't turn left. But after making sure we knew where we were going he said his farewells, "Alright, well have a fun stay. Travel safely!" and started walking back to his car. I was still confused, he had never written a ticket. He never even saw proof of registration- we hadn't even checked the glove compartment. I leaned out the window and called to him, "Excuse me, but can you tell me why you pulled me over?" He responded, "I had pulled you over to give you a DUI because you were slowing down and speeding up drastically and swerving all over the road." You can ask Amanda, I never swerved out of my lane and I never went over the speed limit, but I guess it could've looked like that- but in reality we were just lost.. We thought it was hilarious that we'd been pulled over though and so I dropped Amanda off- Brittany was still at her fiance's, and she went inside and I drove off around the corner. Amanda was to go in and say, "Brittany I need your help! They pulled us over for a DUI cause Jamie was swerving all over the road and they didn't believe us when we said we were just lost. They took Jamie to the station but they let me come home and if you'll vouch for us that we're just visiting they'll let her go." I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened, but I got a phone call from Amanda a little while later, "They didn't fall for it... They say they would've held me and had you come get Brittany..." But that's my DUI story- not the greatest, but still a fond memory of mine, mainly because it was so random! And so dumb! Hopefully I'll get back into this and I promise to work on keeping on top of it! :)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

LOL! I got pulled over too once. I was reaching back to get a baby bottle and swirved all over the road! Hey GLAD YOU POSTED!!! MISS YOU GIRL! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Finn Rossi said...

Uh-oh! I'm sorry, Jamie. That must’ve been nerve-wracking. You must have been turning the car a little to be able to see the street lights better. Hence, he thought you were swerving. At least, the officer was doing his job, you know. I hope this doesn’t happen to you again! :)