Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Carols and such

So a few things to cover that I think all goes together, but maybe not for you. First off, we went to "The Forgotten Carols" last night and I've seen it before and LOVE the songs- or at least some of them. In it Michael McLean, or John, reminds "Connie Lou" that everyone has their very own "Carol". I LOVE LOVE LOVE to sing, but have never been successful at writing any songs. I claim my poetry sucks but the truth is, it only sometimes does, but it never seems to be good, like song quality. But I was inspired from last night's show to give it a try one more time. (A few side notes: I'm going to try and use some connections I have already to try and work on a singing career... send in some demos I already have- make a few more... who knows? Maybe something will come of it. I'm going to take some acting classes, if they're available- though I'll likely have to drive to Salt Lake for them and record some more! :) I love recording!) So I got home and started brainstorming for my carol... Result- well I got the brainstorming done to make a poem- but not a carol.

One of my strongest experiences where I felt closest to the Savior was during a heart-break. I had actually been warned of a heartache, but thought I knew what kind and thought I could prepare for it. But I don't think anything could have possibly prepared me for the heartache I endured. It happened after a relationship- one of the more common causes for heartbreak. I felt like I couldn't turn to my parents for sympathy because I knew they were happy it was over. There were a lot of things I hadn't shared with others and so there really was only ONE person I could turn to. I never had a favorite hymn before that time and now it is "Where Can I Turn For Peace?" I LOVE the melody- slightly sad, but not depressing- still uplifting. I can add my own vocal stylings to it when I sing. And I love the words:
Where Can I turn for peace,
Where is my solace
when other sources cease to make me whole.
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, searching my soul
Where, when my aching grows,
Where when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand
He, only One.

He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching,
In my Gethsemane,
Savior and Friend
Gentle the peace he finds
for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind
Love without end.


And now the poem I came up with, with this song as my inspiration. I have not proofread it, so any friendly comments or critiques to improve it would be appreciated. My goal is to keep writing poetry that eventually I can turn into songs (and to also get better at composing on the piano as well...).

Only He

Through stormy trials
And serious heartache
He it is who knows my soul
He alone can heal

In the darkest hour
My heart has ever known
One alone, knew the answer
The peace my heart could not fathom

Through tears of grief
And zombie-like phases
Going through motions
Because my heart was not whole

“It takes time to fix a broken heart”
They said, but time seemed to elude me
Time was not the answer
It was He who fixed me up

In His eyes, I’m perfect
I’m worth more than gold
It is not my fault, this heartache came
So He has made me whole

Now the future lies, unsure
But with Him by my side
I know it will be beyond compare
To my previous love affairs

With His blood so freely spilt
He paid the price of my broken heart
He has fixed it once, and He will again
And keep me safe in His arms

For in His arms I need not fear
Of ever being left alone
I need no man to dry my tears
For my Savior will always be there

I need no man… but still I long to find
A man who has learned like I
To call the Savior friend
And lean on Him through all time

No comments: