Friday, December 11, 2009

The One

So, I've been thinking a lot about "The One" recently, or a soul-mate. However you choose to look at it. I have lots of friends who have gotten married and many others who are still in that stage where they are looking for "The One" as I am. I put it into quotes for a reason that I hope will become clear by the end of this. I will be bringing in a lot of what I believe in, which some people may not agree with, but it is what makes sense to me based on what I believe to be true. This post may be a little on the long side, but I want to make sure I include as much as possible so I'm almost positive it makes sense.

I will start by saying that I believe that we lived before this Earth life. I believe in God being our Heavenly Father. And I believe family relationships are the most important relationships we can strive to develop while here on Earth. At this particular time I'm not really going to go into why I believe everything I do, although it is simple in principle I have a way of making it more complex and it would take much too long to explain. But I don't believe that babies are magically brought into this world with certain personalities and to certain families. I believe we are placed in certain families for a reason. If it is not the greatest childhood I believe there is something to be learned from it and although I feel sorry for the children I still believe they were placed in such hard situations for a reason, sometimes for the benefit of another. I'm straying already. I believe families are meant to last forever- not til death do us part. I believe in life after this life, just as I believe we existed before this life as we know it. And I believe that families last beyond what we can see and understand as mere mortals. If families are supposed to last forever, why would we be expected to make a choice of who we should marry and be with FOREVER in a matter of a few years in the spectrum of what I believe to be more than millions of years. It seems we should spend more time than that on decisions that affect forever. But I also said I believe we existed before. I believe we existed as individuals before- not with a body as we are now but our spirits that I believe are an integral part of us, I believe that that part of us existed for a long time before we came here and were born on this Earth. I believe we had relationships with people here. I don't know about everyone but there are times when I feel drawn to someone I hardly know. As if I know them. Some people say they fell in love with words such as "love at first sight". I believe there are times when our spirits can recognize people we once knew. And I believe that we had a say in who are families would be here. So in a sense I believe in soul-mates- someone we chose before. I believe we existed for a long time before we came here and knew people better than we know them now. So it would seem as if I believe in "The One", but I don't, not as most people see it, anyways.

Here in this life, life is nowhere near perfect. There is a veil that has been placed over our minds so we do not remember life before this. We are to "walk by faith" as the Apostle Paul wrote. We make mistakes as humans, we are learning, growing. Some people have forgotten who they were and that they chose to come to Earth (another side note that requires way too long of an explanation to into fully- I believe that all people on this Earth were good and proved it when they chose to come to Earth, but some have chosen to go a different way here on Earth which creates a lot of good and bad people). There is abuse, their is death, drugs, disease- some things that are within the control of humans and some that are not. And bad things often happen to good people.

I believe in Heaven and Hell, but not as a lot of Christians view it. I do not believe that Hell is endless burning and that if one is not baptized into a certain church one will burn forever. But I do believe that there are different degrees within heaven "In my Father's house are many mansions." (KJV John 14:2) I believe we have to prove ourselves worthy of living with our families forever and being sealed to them. (That is the way I interpret another scripture but it also goes off on a tangent.) So what if "The One" dies because of life here on Earth? Are we doomed to be alone for all of this life- which at times seems very long? What if "The One" for us decides they don't really care to do what's right? Are we doomed to be with someone who doesn't want to be the best they can be and might end up in a life of abuse? No. But in the same sense, I believe that God knows everything, including who we will end up with, so if that is how you define "The One" then I guess I believe in it. But He knows who we will end up with based on our choices.

There have been many quotes given by apostles and prophets in my church. Some saying there is no such thing as The One. They also say that ANY two righteous people can get married if they are willing to pay the price. I think they say that because some people would say they found The One and even if that person was not living worthy of them, they would attach themselves to a life of misery and abuse by choice, all in the name of 'The One'. But at the same time there are other quotes that tell people in my church to pray about it, to find the right one, that when we can see how God brought us and our spouse together we will have more harmony in our relationship. Which almost implies there being One soul-mate for us.

What makes sense to me is that there are "Ones". Maybe we chose to be with someone before this life began. But maybe he decides that he wants to be a murderer here. God will not doom us to be tied down to him. He will provide another if we are doing everything we can to be the right one. If our spouse dies, or our "soul-mate" dies, we are not doomed to live alone forever. The Lord can prepare someone else.

We always have a say in who we marry and there isn't a One and Only until you seal yourself to that person- then they become, by your choice, your One and Only, your soulmate (and unless there are extreme circumstances, I believe both parties need to work on their marriage no matter what, with the attitude that now that they are married there is only ONE.) I understand that divorce happens and it isn't always both sided and there can still be happiness for those who go through this, I also know that there are cases with abuse where it isn't safe for someone to remain in the marriage, for the kids, or whatever the circumstance may be. (So basically I believe in exceptions... sorry for the tangent) I think that's it on this subject for now... :) Until later! :)

1 comment:

Barbara Sue said...

Jamie, I always love hearing your thoughts :) I agree with you, in that the Lord always lets us choose and puts whats best in our path.