Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Methane Blue

Back to my more lighthearted stories... :)

This story happened a few years ago and was inspired by a story before that. My Mom, growing up, told me a story of how she played a prank on some boys- don't know how she knew them, all I know is she pranked them. It was for April Fools- so they had to be careful. They made brownies and put methane blue in them and then covered them with chocolate frosting. Since the boys were suspicious, as planned, the girls had made a separate batch of brownies and strategically placed a few of those on top. So they each took one of the safe ones which then enticed the guys that the brownies were alright. Hence the inspiration for my own experience.

It was freshmen year of college. My sister had come up to visit for the end of March and we had been teasing our friend Brandon that he didn't like us. You see, he claimed we were his friends, but he had never baked anything for us, always other girls, that he claimed he wasn't interested in. So then he said he would do it for someone's birthday- but we had told him when our birthdays were, and they had already passed. So when my sister came up, we told him her birthday was March 30th. And she left the morning of the 30th. We gave him such a hard time about him owing us a cake and how he would have to make it Monday so she could enjoy some before heading to the airport around 8 or 9 am (I don't remember the exact time.) Anyways, he did not have a car freshmen year and the store within Helaman Halls didn't open early enough- so he walked to a 24 hour store at like 4 am, and bought a cake mix. He then proceeded to bake it and it was ready minutes before I had to take my sister to the airport. He called me and I went to retrieve it. I handed it to my sister and told her to meet me at the car- and he apologized for not having frosting- by the time he realized he didn't have any there wasn't any time left. I then told him it wasn't her birthday til July. Luckily he didn't get too mad. :) But anyways, we all shared the cake- which was VERY good, and then we had his pan. We had promised we would bake something in return when we returned his pan and it was working out perfectly that it wouldn't be too suspicious if it just HAPPENED to be on April Fools' Day.

We decided to use methane blue (btw, for those who may not know- it turns your waste a really weird blue color and sometimes freaks people out). It is mainly used in fish tanks, and so we called every Walmart and general store in the area as well as every pet store. Finally we called a pet store in American Fork who said they had 2 bottles left- we told him to save us one and left immediately. So we journeyed out to American Fork and when we walked in we announced we were the ones who had called for the methane blue. Instead of small idle chatter this guy got straight to the point, "Who are the brownies for?" We had not mentioned brownies or anything. :) Oh well! So we went back and proceeded to make the brownies. We put in 100 drops and wondered if we put too much in, if it would poison them. I tried calling my mom- but she didn't answer the phone, so we stopped at 100 drops. We delivered the brownies, but all of us girls who had made it were curious as to how it worked, so we all took brownies gladly. Unfortunately, as we later found out, after talking to my mom and through sad experience, 100 drops is not enough. Too much doesn't poison you- or at least a whole bottle doesn't. But it's too late to try that one on them again- maybe some other time I'll find a new culprit and be able to use it! :)

No comments: