Friday, January 1, 2010

A Sunny Day goes a LONG, long way

Today my parents and I were talking about, well way more than I'm going to include in this small post. We started talking about my ideal career, and then as a side comment, my Mom was like, "Out of all the kids, you are the one we worry the LEAST about trying to convince to move back to California." Reason being, although I am adaptable and can live anywhere I'm needed, California is my ideal home. There's no convincing needed as long as it's feasible. My Dad started teasing me about how I LOVE the Provo, Utah weather. And then we started discussing how usually January and February are VERY cloudy with very little sun. I've noticed that in my years in Utah. There was one year, in particular that I remember being bad. I felt like I hadn't seen the sun in months- though weeks was probably more accurate. I mean, I could see it's light getting through hazy clouds, but it was always more of a blur- not that same is a bright summer's day and puffy white clouds temporarily covering the sun. Anyways, this one year was AWFUL! My birthday is towards the end of February and I remember praying for a sunny birthday- it was the ONLY thing I really wanted that year. I woke up- normal haze. Went to class. I remember walking out of the Benson building and being able to go home- and it was sunny. There were still clouds, but I could actually SEE the sun, not just it's light. I'm sure it must've also been that time of month, but I cried, not teared up- I full out, cried, my whole way home. I remember passing people on the stairs south of campus and seeing them look at me funny, trying to figure out if I was alright- but I was. I was SO happy, just to see the sun. That was one of the greatest birthdays ever. I have other favorites, but that memory and the warmth of the sun, literally and figuratively, will ALWAYS remain with me. I believe it to have been my present that year from a Heavenly Father who loves me. He hasn't given me sunny days every year, not even if I ask for them every year, but that year, when it meant so much to me- it came. And I don't think it's a mere coincidence. Today was sunny and in the 70s- my type of winter day! :)

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Amen...for the sunshine!