Sunday, January 31, 2010

Scooter Boy

Back to the good old stories of my life... :) My sister is in town and we have been hanging out, seeing movies- everything we can. Last night we were going to see a movie and she invited a friend, so we went to pick her up and she lives in the same complex and same building that I lived in years ago. I got talking to them and reminiscing about when I lived there and was reminded of this story. :)

Once upon a time I moved into Liberty Square, the Virginia building to be precise. We had a whole group that all wanted to live together and Virginia allowed all 6 of us to live together for a pretty good price. We all moved in and one of our roommates was attending Beauty School and didn't start school until a week after the rest of us. So the first week she was REALLY bored when we all left for school. I returned home one afternoon to find her telling another roommate about her "adventures" of the day. They consisted of sitting in one of our rooms that faced the street and watching all the people walk to and from school. JUST watching. She was telling us of this guy who, from what she could tell from a distance, was REALLY cute! She referred to him as scooter boy and he had a blue or red scooter- I can't remember which color exactly. But she had seen two guys on scooters that day, one had a red one, the other one had a blue one. Let's say the one with the blue one was the cute one. She jokingly said that she wanted scooter boy.

SO, brilliant as I am, I jumped up, as if I was bored and had just remembered something else I needed to do and left the room. I returned with some dry erase markers and proceeded to write on the window in that room that faced the street. I wrote backwards so people on the street could read it and I made the lettering bold too. I wrote, "Scooter boy we want you! Call us at:" I put the apartment phone number on there, because this was back in the day that apartments all had phones in them because cell phones weren't quite big enough to get rid of the apt phone. Then I proceeded to write all of our nicknames on the window.

Well, that year was fun and we got SEVERAL calls from random guys saying, "Hey, this is scooter boy, I'm calling to talk to..." and he'd give one of the nicknames on the window. Or "Hey this is scooter boy, who am I speaking to?" I don't know is any of us went on any dates with any of the guys who called, but we met most of them. I mean, it's not hard to figure out which apartment that window belonged to. We met a lot of people that year and had lots of fun. But we never met scooter boy or saw that scooter after the first week.

Well, at the end of the school year I packed my things and headed home. My first Sunday back we had a regional Single Adult combined church meeting out in Ventura. I went with my cousin and we ended up sitting next to two guys. One of them mentioned he was just there for the summer for summer sales and had just come home from Provo. So I asked where he had lived. Well we had both lived in Liberty Square and we asked which buildings we lived in. He found out I lived in Virginia and he asked if I knew the people in the top apt on the south side, so I said of course- they were all in my ward, after all. Then I asked why? So he tells me that they had written on their window something about "We want you Scooter Boy" and proceeds to tell me that he had a scooter at the beginning of the year but then sold it because it cost too much to keep. He had never called the number but had always wondered if it was him. So I asked, "What color was your scooter?" He said, "Blue." I started laughing and when I stopped for a second I said, "Hi, I'm J$$$ (we had already introduced ourselves) and that was my apartment, and you're Scooter Boy!"

Anyways, so I met Scooter Boy, and we exchanged numbers because he was in the area all summer. We had talked about hanging out at the beach or getting a group together to play halo, but I never actually saw him again, nor do I think either one of us texted the other one. But that's my story of Scooter Boy and how I finally met him! :)

No comments: