Sunday, October 19, 2008

Stealth

So, this is another BOMPs story (see an earlier post in October for more information). It was a Sunday evening- pretty lowkey and I decided I'd go to bed early- a rare occasion at the time. So, I got ready for bed- pjs, washed my face- the works. As I'm getting into bed I get a phone call. "Stealth mission. CODE RED!!! Downstairs NOW! In Katy's apartment!" Click. End of phone call. Of course I couldn't pass up a stealth mission, and since it was code red, I didn't exactly have much time. I threw on a sweatshirt and basically ran down the stairs. On my way down I happened to notice Kali flirting with a guy outside. Neither one of them lived by that stairwell, but there they were leaning up against a car, talking. I decided to be casual. I knew them both- was friends with them both, so I waved hi and they waved back. I continued on my way down the stairs acting as if I was just going to stop in and say hello to a close friend. So I go down the stairs and then turn back underneath to get to the door. I knock on Katy's door. SLAM!!! I hear someone slam into Katy's apt door. I hear a "Who's there?!" whispered harshly through the door. So I stated my name. Then the door opens, but the top lock, you know one of those chains that goes across the door was still attached. So through the small crack they verify my identity. Then they close the door, unlatch the chain and reopen the door to admit me in. They close the door and I realize that everything is black. ALL the lights are off. I hear someone whisper, "GET DOWN!" So I drop to all fours. As my eyes adjust to the lack of light I realize that there are people everywhere, under tables, behind chairs, couches, the likes- all staring out the front window. I find Logan- the one who had called me and pretty much the leader of our group. I crawl over to him to see what's the problem. He explains that Kali has been flirting with, we'll call him Andrew, and that she has him under her spell. She must have hypnotized him or given him some potion. We need to save Andrew from her spell somehow. The problem is, they are right outside, and she knows that they were in there watching her before the lights went out, and she never saw anyone leave. If we turn the lights on or go out the front door she will see. The back door, which leads out into the inner courtyard is straight in front of the window, which she can also see. So we are stuck. Luckily Katy is on the ground floor. I suggested climbing out a window into the inner courtyard. We can walk through the courtyard to a different exit and casually stroll back around to the side of the building where Kali is as if we came from a different apartment. She would most likely know we snuck out, but at least she wouldn't know how long ago. Well, then we realize that she can't see the front door from where she's standing and we decide to just quietly file out the front door and into the courtyard from that entrance. I guess it was much simpler, but I still like my window idea....

So, because of the angle and it being around the corner we were able to make it safely to the inner courtyard. We exited as planned and rounded the corner. We decide to head up to Logan's apartment and pretend like we're just going to various apartments. We realize that Andrew has already said goodbye to Kali and has left. But Kali can't just be let go. We have to spy on her and make sure the rest of the world is safe, of course. So we are in Logan's apartment and some people decide it's time for them to go home for the night. But Katy, Logan and I remain. We have to come up with a new plan. This is when she gets in her car and moves it to the back of the apartment parking lot. So we're trying to figure out a plan and Logan decides we need ammo.

He runs to the kitchen and then when he comes back we decided to head out, but we realize that she is driving away. So, we wonder if she's moving her car to the other side of the building. So we decide to take a stroll around the building to see if it's on the other side. We get most of the way around the building and no luck. But Logan knows some other places he thinks we can check. So he says, I don't have any gas in my car (and since it's Sunday we can't fill up) and then asks, do you have gas in your car. Unfortunately I didn't. So he asks Katy- Katy doesn't have gas either. At this point he pulls out his ammo. We find that it is really just peanut butter and a spoon. He looks at us and shrugs, "What? I was hungry." Then he says, let's hot wire a car! Katy and I laugh and go along with it knowing he's kidding, but then Logan walks over to a car that we both know isn't his. He opens the door and jumps in. He yells for us to come over. Katy and I look at eachother skeptically. He reaches down and shortly thereafter the car starts. I'm thinking, what the heck. And he now calls more excitedly, "Get in!" So, he's already hot wired this car, and somehow I just figured that I wanted to go and decided to jump in too. As I got in the car I realize there are keys in the ignition, much to my relief. Apparently, it was another guy's car from the ward, and he had given Logan permission to drive it whenever and had told him where the spare keys were kept, inside the car. So we went for a drive, unfortunately we never found Kali, and this was the end of our adventures central to her, although I saw her many times afterward and we had some fun times at other times. But most of them aren't story worthy. :)

No comments: