Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Eating out of the trash

Alright, so this one has a little side story. So at the beginning of this semester, my sister and I decided we wanted to have a game night on Sunday night. We planned it and set up fliers. Well, Sunday afternoon we were hanging out and some people were sleeping and then there was a knock on the door. So I went to go answer it. My friend Ashley (from California) and I were the only ones awake. Well, there were three guys standing outside. One of them asks if this is where game night is. I reply, saying yes but it's not until later that evening. Well, I let them in and we started talking. One of the guys got a little sidetracked and pulled out these truth or dare cards that I have. I think he laughed or something because I asked, "Are those good cards? I've never looked at them before." Which was true. Well, he responded yes and decided to give us a sample. He reads, "Have you ever eaten out of the trash before?" So I respond with a "Yes." Pause. "I bet that isn't the answer you wanted to hear first off... (I thought it was great because they were all starting to stare at me going, is this girl for real? We should take off running and warn everyone we meet about her...) But it's true, there's a story behind it- do you want to hear?" And of course they responded with a yes.

Well, it all started on my mission. My companion, Sister Robinson, and I liked to meet up with the elders on P-Day. This Monday was no different. We met at the church and Sister Robinson and I were writing letters. I believe that at this time they were trying to get us to join a game of basketball, and so they decided to throw a smartie at us which they had found on the floor. Without really thinking, I picked it up from where it had landed, inspected it for noticeable dirt and then, upon deciding it was clean enough, plopped it in my mouth and ate it. My companion was astonished- and the elders started laughing.

Well the following week I had gotten a box of cookies- my favorite at the time. They were Little Debbie's, the Christmas wreath ones (try them at least once, they're pretty good for store bought). Well, I was eating one in the morning while Sister Robinson was doing her studies. I stood up to go through the wrapper in the trash and part of the cookie fell in (on top of the wrapper) and instinctively, I reached in, grabbed the cookie and inserted it into my mouth. I swallowed and froze. My eyes popped out, my shoulders hunched forward and I looked like I was both disgusted and in shock. It was in such a mode that my companion noticed something odd and glanced up. Then she asked eloquently, "What?" I responded by saying, "I never knew how gross I was." And then I started laughing, and it was a few minutes before I was able to relate the story to her, instant replay included.

So, it was with that morning that we went to the church. Well, the elders still remembered throwing the smartie at me, and thought it was so funny. This time they happened to find a gummy frog lying on the church floor. They picked it up and threw it at me. Sister Robinson, my protector, and acting in my best interests, ran over and picked it up, scolding the elders, "Don't throw that at her! You know she'll just eat it!" (Truth be told, I really like smarties and the Christmas wreath cookies, but gummy frogs.. I probably would've left it on the floor.) But I started laughing anyways and as she ran towards the trash, I couldn't resist. I yelled after her, "Don't think that'll stop me!" She threw it away. Turned. And she started laughing. The elders had to wait before we were able to tell the story of that morning's adventure.

And so, yes it is true- I have eaten out of the trash. But hey, why not? Floor, trash... "God made dirt, so it won't hurt." Or at least that's what they taught us at Girls' Camp. (I wouldn't recommend it for all things. Even I consider it somewhat nasty- except in the aforementioned situations.) :)

2 comments:

Scott said...

God also made poison ivy and that will most definitely hurt if you eat it. That's disgusting, Jamie ;)

Jamie B said...

True... does that mean I have to be more careful?